The building of the original church, erected in a form similar to that of the current layout seen today, has, however, undergone several changes and rearrangements in the years of the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries. Among these, the construction of the second chapel, on the right side of the nave, dedicated to St. Nicholas of Tolentino and completed in 1739, as stated in the inscription on the tombstone. Other works concerned the interior of the apse in the 18th century, the rich octagonal tiburium in the late 16th century and its rich decoration completed in 1582. Lastly, the construction of the bell tower, detached from the body of the church, probably erected in the 17th century.
The decoration of the presbytery was completed in 1706 with the two small paintings of the Miracles of Saint Martha.
The present church stands on a significant pre-existing building that can still be recognized today. This is a small, early fourteenth century church, of which we do not know the exact dedication. However, it is believed that it was not already the one dedicated to Saint Martha but to Saint Mary of which there is a trace in some documents. Certainly the original layout had a canonical orientation, that is, with the apse facing east, exactly like the provostry. In confirmation of this, what was once the presbyterial area survives, that is, the current chapel of the Holy Sepulchre, which can be found on the left as soon as you cross the entrance. The little nave corresponded to the present first span and in all probability continued to the opposite chapel today dedicated to Saint Anthony of Padua. The small apse has archaic architectural features that indicate that the construction can be no later than the fourteenth century: the triumphal arch is a lowered round arch, the roof is a cross vault whose falls rest on simple shelves made of stone slabs, as well as for the impost of the triumphal arch. This environment is out of square compared to the harmonious development of the current church, rotated by more than ninety degrees following the fourteenth-century reconstruction.